Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Seventh Day Controversy


"And on the seventh day He rested...."

This quote from the Bible is controversial. Some people say that G-d wouldn't rest because He (well they say "He") wouldn't get tired and so, He would have no reason to rest. However, Pope Francis tell us that leisure is part of G-d's plan and that it is G-dly to rest. 

Pope Francis Has a Few Words in Support of Leisure


I would say that in fact it is G-dly to rest and have recreation. If you break up that word you get re-creation. In my view G-d valued creativity and wanted to show that rest and restoration would be part of what we needed to be vital, living beings. And, when one is at leisure, there can be a wonderful, serendipitous opportunity to appreciate G-d's gifts even more. For example, this past Saturday, I took some time to photograph some of the beautiful flowers in my neighborhood. I was awestricken by the beauty of G-d's creation. It didn't matter to me that this creation had come about through the manipulations of human beings. It still had its root in G-d's grace.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment