Monday, April 1, 2013

A Reaction and Some New Thoughts

By Joan Amato


I like your blog. I think Pope Francis is a pope that people can relate to because he admits to desires that are quite human; attraction to a woman being one of them. It's also interesting that he studied science and chose a religious vocation. It turns the tables on those that would say science and religion are so separate. You can believe in both.

As a Catholic myself, I feel it is important to understand Jesus. I find it surprising that throughout history, many people did not seem to see Jesus as a Jewish person. And that instead of trying to learn about Judaism, since it is the religion he was brought up in, many chose to persecute His people instead. Perhaps if there was more understanding, there would never have been any Inquisitions.

It is my hope that Pope Francis will bring about more healing and greater unity, and will be a leader whose message will appeal to all people. Many like and admire the Dalai Lama, even if they're not Buddhist. And the Buddhist idea of enlightenment is something very encouraging and profound indeed. 


Billie's Note: My best friend, Joan Amato, sent me this reaction to my Populist Pope page. In it, she shares some of her reactions and adds her own thoughts as well. She points out that Pope Francis originally studied science and yet ended up choosing to work as a religious. I've always believed in both science and religion. In my view, evolution is real and is G-d's way of making things happen. I learned that the Catholic Church shares this view, so at least we know that, today, someone like Galileo would not be put to the test or relaxed per Inquisition torture methods.

Joan shares my Jesus-as-a-Jew idea and expands on the ecumenical perspective that Pope Francis espouses. This Pope has raised many hopes among devout and unchurched alike. I would repeat: If we are realistic about what to expect, it seems we will not be disappointed. Expect changes in style. Expect changes in how things are symbolized and expressed. Do not expect changes in doctrine.

Here's an example of what I mean: Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who works here in New York, told gay people recently that they were entitled to be friends but not to marry. Contrast that with how Pope Francis handled it when he was a Cardinal (before the conservative faction got to him and forced him to start talking about the Devil)—his "render-to-Caesar-what-is-Caeser's" approach was so much gentler. When I read what Dolan had to say, I could only think: "Thank G-d Dolan was not elected Pope."

No comments:

Post a Comment